Tuesday, August 22, 2006

For fear of... me?

So, I was told yesterday that certain people are scared of me. I've always joked at one time or another that people, when they meet me, often find me to be scary. It generally depends on the situation under which we meet - in the lab, when I'm in the middle of an experiment, standing in front of a classroom of idiot college junior/senior BMEs, etc. I'm not an intimidating looking person by any means, and have spent most of my life being shy. But, given a certain situation where I am serious, I guess I can be scary.

Mostly, I'm just a happy person now. Just don't get me pissed off. It really does take a lot to piss me off, so people generally know to watch out when it happens. In talking to Cynical yesterday, she described a look I gave which she described as "so cold, I nearly ran out of the room." Efrex told me way back that I had, what he called, "The Stare," which apparently can curdle milk. So I guess that's what people fear - my anger or the possibility of my anger.

But again, it doesn't happen often. It's not like I pop off and yell at everyone who steps on my toe. It really does take a lot to get me to the point where I can't just brush it off. And most of the time, there's a long build-up to it.

I just find it humorous - me, scary and intimidating.

6 comments:

CawfeeGuy said...

i'm only telling you this because we're about 300 miles apart: you ARE a bit scary and have been known to give "withering looks".

Anonymous said...

Well, CawfeeGuy, SHE brought it up. I say go for it.

T - You see yourself as shy and scared to talk to people. No one believes you (well, not no one, but you get my drift). How could you be shy when you're so - so - so - OUTGOING. There. I said it. You may be uncomfortable inside but that does not mesh with the rest of your personality - so it reads as aloof or pissed off or scary.

What can I say? You've got it goin' on girl. Beautiful, smart, witty. What the hell do you have to be shy about? You must not just want to talk to X... or so it seems and then you become unapproachable.

After all that, what I have to say is: whatever. Be yourself. You are wonderful.

N'il said...

*Blush*

to CawfeeGuy: *stare*

:-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think your classmates from elementary school thought you were scary too. Haha.

Jay

CawfeeGuy said...

MS: you're right she is wonderful (in a scary INTENSE sorta way)

Nil: **whimper**cry**hides under the desk**

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I've ever seen you "pop off and yell". It's more that you go all quiet and ultra-rational. Pissed as all hell AND rational - now, that's a scary concept.

Tricia