Thursday, August 17, 2006

How do we define fugly?

Okay, okay. I'll admit it. I'm not a fashion maven by any stretch of the imagination. I don't generally follow the most current fashion trends. But I know what I am comfortable wearing, what I generally look good in, and I stick with what works. There are some things that took me a while to come around to - like capri/crop pants, which I now love. Some things I wish I could pull off (gouchos), but simply can't. And things that I will wear even if they go out of style - cargo pants and boot cut cords (not the ones with the fat cords, but the narrow ones that are actually slimming).

What is distressing me as of late is the apparent return of 80's style fashion.

"The fabulous '80s are staging a comeback for fall 2006. Especially in the form of leggings, booties and off-the-shoulder sweaters. For those of us who are, ahem, young enough to remember this glitzy era, our first initial reaction is to cringe. Visions of Madonna and Jennifer Beals appear dancing and grinding before our eyes."



Now, I've noticed it for a while, but it's coming on full steam. I mean, the outfit in the picture is actually being sold as "Sophisticated 80's Look." Seriously. There are some things that should just be left behind. MS once said that there were certain looks from the 80's which evolved into better things - the evolution of the legging to the yoga pant was her example. And I totally agree. I think it wouldn't be so cringe-inducing for me if one or two elements came back here and there. I believe it's the fact that it's coming back all at once that makes me want to scream: NOOOOOOOO!

I think I'll just stick with one piece of fashion advice I heard not too long ago: If you're old enough to have worn it the first time around, you're too old to do it again.

5 comments:

CawfeeGuy said...

personally, i think it looks alot better than the Dress + Jeans look that i see constantly. it DRIVES ME BAT SHIT.

N'il said...

That is a whole different fashion disaster...

CawfeeGuy said...

welcome back, btw. i've been SO bored at work without having yours or MS's blogs to read :)

N'il said...

Sorry. Been busy.

Anonymous said...

"Sophisticated 80's"??? Clearly, this is an oxymoron. But I think it's the high heels worn with the legging-sweatshirt duo that offends my sensibilities most.

Tricia