Thursday, June 15, 2006

Livid doesn't even BEGIN to describe it

I get last minute work all the time. It's annoying. But mistakes are made, things are overlooked and as a result assignments are received late. So, I grumble, but I deal. Do my work, as best as I can, trying not to compromise quality just because I'm a little rushed.

Today, I am asked to review part of a file. Okay, it's a file for a standard device. And why he thought that a chemistry review wasn't needed for this one, when one is necessary for every file of this device type - well, I'll attribute it to a brain fart or just plain stupidity.

Me: When is the file due?
Him: Out on Wednesday.
Me: When do you need it?
Him: I was hoping to get it done by today or tomorrow morning. I have to leave at 1pm tomorrow and won't be here Monday or Tuesday.
Me: In other words today.
Him: If there isn't much, don't bother writing anything up.


Well, there was much. A full review was necessary. These reviews usually have about a 2 week timeline because of other work and because of thoroughness' sake. So, I have, essentially, an afternoon. I drop the rest of my work to do it. It sucks, but it needs to be done. Nothing I have is due tomorrow. And it's the right thing to do and I don't want him to get stuck. It's happened to me before, so I get it.

So, I'm working my ass off all afternoon. Trying to get the review done for him. So he doesn't get in trouble. Because it's the right thing to do. We all have brain farts. It's an honest mistake. An oversight. Happens to all of us. I ask how long he'll be sticking around. He says that he wants to try to get it done, so whenever it is.

I was fine with it... Until about 5:45pm. When I hear - giggling. Girl giggling. Girlfriend giggling. What the FUCK?!? I am here working my ass off so that he can get the file in on time. Doing him a favor. Dropping all my other work because he asked, because it was the right thing to do, because I have a work ethic. And he's goofing off in his office with his girlfriend. I ask again: what the fuck?

I am beyond livid. Why in the world am I bothering to work on this so hard when he apparently is not putting in as much effort on the rest of the file to get it finished? It's his damn file. Livid. Angry to the point of shaking. LS advises me, since he's obviously not working on it, I should just close up and leave. Work on it tomorrow. Tell him tomorrow how what he did was unprofessional - asking me to do the work, to do him a favor, while he's goofing off.

So I finish the thought I was typing and am getting ready to go home. And then he appears in my door to say good night.

Me: Leave
Him: What?
Me: Leave now. I am livid beyond description with you and I can't talk to you now. I'll talk to you about it tomorrow. Leave.


He doesn't leave. Asks me what's up. If it's something we can talk about now. He won't leave. Fine. Come in. Close the door. And I lay into him. I've been working my ass off because he asked for a favor. Because he said he wanted to get the file done today. And he's in his office giggling and goofing with his girlfriend. He tries to claim that he was doing his work. That I had no idea what was going on in his office. Literally I said, and I did this in my best annoyingly cutesy girlie voice: Teeheehee. You're so funny. Heehee. *smirk* You're crazy. Then seriously: THAT is not work. He had nothing to say about that.

Let the backpedaling begin!! He says he knows I've been working my ass off for him, to help him get the file done. He knows that I've dropped everything. If I can't get it done today or tomorrow, get it to him by next week and he'll deal with the consequences. He doesn't want it to look like the file is late because of me and he'll deal with it. Welcome to the world where we completely miss the point! AND in NO universe would the lateness of this file be because of me.

Me: You don't understand this. And you probably won't understand this until you get screwed. But perception has a lot to do with how people see you, what they think of you. What you present. No, I don't know exactly what's going on in your office. But I know what I heard, and it wasn't work. It's the impression I got. And I'm your friend. But it makes me wonder why I'm working my ass off when you're not. And a lot of what I'm feeling and how angry I am has to do with how much I invested in this today. How much work I've done. To save your ass.
Him: I know you've been working on it. I saw that you've only been working on it. I don't know how to say it that can show you how strongly I know
(note: what the hell does that even mean??). I wish there was something I could say, but I don't know what.
Me: There is nothing you can say right now to make this any better. Leave. She's waiting for you. We will talk about this more tomorrow.
Him: (while opening the door) I really wish I knew what I could say.
Me: Leave.


I rarely ever get this angry. At these times, I try to step back. Ask myself: Am I overreacting? Am I being unfair? Is this really not a big deal? What annoys me is that he doesn't get it. He has no clue, none whatsoever, why what he did was unprofessional. Why it pissed me off. If he had just left, I would not have gotten angry. I understand that he's already been there for 12 hours. I told him this. Him going home is not the point. The point is that he gave the impression that he was goofing off while I was working hard on something he gave me. Am I overreacting? Maybe. But I don't feel unjustified.

*If anyone has ever seen Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, I basically felt like Harold did when he gets the work dumped on him to finish while his boss went out to party.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. What goes around comes around. I would keep a little file and jot down everything that happened. Every time he does something to irritate you from now, write it down. Then, when you can't take it anymore, you'll have a paper trail and you can turn him in.

Jay

Anonymous said...

Like I said over the weekend, he'll get his in the end, but in the meantime let your boss know (in a professional way) that you went above and beyond to save his ass.

And at least you don't have to deal with him today and tomorrow!
Tricia

N'il said...

Oh, I'm sure he'll get his... particularly because my manager knows that he gave the review to me at the last minute. It's stored away in her brain for later use. I didn't tattle, but I did make sure she knew.