Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Rules of personal behaviour

Okay, I'm not a list maker. But this is a list that's been bouncing around my head for the past few days. Probably because of everything that has happened of late, I feel the need to put things down in writing. This is not me preaching to anyone. These are the rules I have for me.

So, here are my rules of personal behaviour - the rules which I have been trying to follow in my everyday life:

  1. Treat everyone with kindness and respect - including yourself.
  2. Embrace love - don't fear it.
  3. Be honest with yourself and others.
  4. Don't allow yourself to be a doormat.
  5. If it seems like everyone is against you, take a good hard look at yourself.
  6. Never expect anyone do to anything that you would not do yourself (except killing bugs).
  7. Laugh at yourself - don't take yourself too seriously.
  8. Professionalism does not mean you can't have fun, but don't have fun at the expense of professionalism.
  9. Do not go through life avoiding the things you hate or fear.
  10. Don't sweat the small stuff, but do the little things to make yourself happy every day.
  11. Don't whine or complain about a situation if you are not willing to do something to fix it.

Most everything on the list is an extension or elaboration of the first three rules. But it is necessary for me to make some things more specific, I guess. This list is by no means finished, either. I'm going to continue to add to it should I think of anything. But one of the main things for me is to not follow one rule at the expense of another. And I'm trying. And I'm sure I will fail at times. But I'm trying.

Having it in print will allow me to come back and read it whenever I need a reminder or a kick in the ass.

9 comments:

CawfeeGuy said...

if you were preaching to everyone else out there, i'm thinking that there should be one in there about respecting people's personal space. i find that there are way too many people out there who have no concept of MY SPACE vs THEIR SPACE. it's kinda disconcerting.

N'il said...

Again, I think that's an extension of rule #1 - respect. You are right though... the idea of personal space seems to be lot on many these days.

Anonymous said...

By what you've been writing lately, it seems like you don't care too much for your colleagues. I've encountered that every place that I have worked. Sometimes people perceive me as acting like I'm better than all of them because I don't partake in their behavior, but that's a small price to pay to not stoop to their level.

Jay

N'il said...

Well, it's not that I don't like them, or don't care for them. I actually like most of the people here. There are a some people I like on a personal level, but believe are totally incompetent. There are others who are jerks, but are great to work with - professional and all. Everyone else falls in between. But as I said, I'm not here to make friends. The fact that I have is an added bonus. But I am here to do my job, which I happen to love.

Anonymous said...

Ok so first of all, everyone IS against me sh shut the hell up about that. Secondly, cawfeeboy, if you don't like it when I sit on your lap just tell me. Thirdly, yay lists!!! Fourthly (heh - fourthly - oh well) Lady Nil is chatting with me right now and clearly stole Cawfeeboy's *rolls eyes* line so I'm outing her. Fifthly, please don't add too many more because I'm kinda thick and can't remember more than 11 rules then I'll have to start writing them down. And sixthly (also lastly) how does everyone like my womder woman emoticon in google talk (which you need to get now cawfeeby - we haven't pushed you because we realize the blog thing was huge but keep it movin Hun). whoo. tired.

Turgenev said...

*looks up* Hyperposting, brought to you by Jolt! Cola. Jolt - When cocaine can't overclock you the way you WANT!

-T.
(...urgenev. I know the T's get confusing.)

CawfeeGuy said...

MS you can sit anywhere you want...bring it on...
i wasn't gonna comment on Nil's blatant ** theivery, i felt it wasn't ladylike.
i'm not sure if The Man (not not stephen...the Corporate Man) will allow me to have any chat s'ware.
i truly doubt it.

CawfeeGuy said...

BTW: N'Il...what does your name mean?

N'il said...

N'il = nil = nothing, literally. Use it because J used to be "Nihilist," so Lady N'il, get it? J's no longer Nihilist, as you can tell... but I still like N'il.