Friday, June 09, 2006

Auto love

It's always funny when I read things in articles that I've said. Whenever someone gets a new car, or has an otherwise really fun car, I always ask what the car's name is. Half the time I get an answer, the other half I get a perplexed look. And I have always said that there are two categories of people: ones who name their cars (and other inanimate objects) and ones who don't. So it was funny when I began this article and read that very same quote. I always knew other people felt this way.

Well, I'm a car namer (for those who don't already know, the first car was Eva and the current one Ian). As is JS. And we name all sorts of objects - JS settled on Samantha for his Australian accented GPS. Most people I know are namers - perhaps not of the car, but of objects. And pretty much anything which appears to have some sort of intelligence, will at least get a sex assignment.

So, the question is, what category are you in?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pussy Galore. You may refer to her as Kitty if you're good.

Oh, and the iPod's named Magenta.

CawfeeGuy said...

deffinitely NOT a namer. i can't even decide what to wear in the morning with certainty, let alone subscribe to one name for my car, for more than 15 minutes. (ie: the Roomba we have has had more 1st names than Liz Taylor has had surnames)

CawfeeGuy said...

btw: kudos on baning out THREE posts in as many days **golf clap**

N'il said...

Cawfeeboy - I would still consider you a namer, since you do admit that your Roomba has a definite personality/sex. The fact that it has so many names, well... that's a different matter. Maybe it has multiple personalities?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, my car is one of the few objects in my life that doesn't have a name. But I think that's because he was middle aged when I got 'im... and well, he really isn't technically mine.

Tricia