Wednesday, May 04, 2005

On friendships

I made a realization today of the preciousness of very good friends. I think about all of the people in my life that are important to me and realize the years that they span... from high school, college, grad school, and more recent times. It took a little while for some of us to get on the same page. With others there was a more immediate connection.

I think that the most common comment from many of my friends, particularly those from grad school, is that the first impression I give off is "scary, loud chick." I have been told over and over by some of my friends that when they met me, they were truly fearful. I'm sure it had more to do with the environ in which we met (ie. in lab or in a class for which I was the TA) versus me (or at least I hope that it was). Nevertheless, we are all still in communication mostly due to wonders of modern technology.

The value I place on friendships is very high and it always pains me when a friend is lost to distance, life, or differences that grew over time. It's always hard to leave behind someone to whom I once felt close.

I don't make friends easily. And generally, those friendships that do develop last a very long time. I consider myself lucky and blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful, warm, funny, intelligent, fabulous friends.

3 comments:

bum said...

Honey, I wuv you too. Anyways, I've changed the link to my blog. It's now myfishbowllife.blogspot.com.

PS
At least you won't find me saying how I thought you were a scary loud chick when we first met. You were comfortably buzzed on beer, remember?? Loud, yes. Chick, most definitely. Scary, no.

PPS
I saw Finding Neverland with Fel over last weekend. She thought it was funny how I thought Michael was the cutest kid out of the four of them. She claims that the kid grows up to be gay and ends up committing suicide by jumping into some river in England with his lover. In my defence, I shall say "How can you not like some one who talks like that?!"

efrex said...

Nah, you weren't scary... our being friends even though you sang "Ave Maria" and Andrew Lloyd Webber songs, now THAT'S scary! :P

ttw said...

Holy cow, you sang Andrew Lloyd Webber songs???

Now I know why I thought you were terrifying. Well, that, and also the bit about being all frowny and stuff at lab meeting. You were absolutely ferocious! And I was frightened out of my wits!

*cower*