Sunday, May 15, 2005

Power between the legs

No, we are not talking about anything dirty. We are talking about motorcycles. I've been wanting to learn how to ride a motorcycle for quite a long time. I used to be a fan of the "crotch rocket" type bikes, but as I have aged (and developed a bad back), I have reconsidered. I love Harleys, particularly the Sportster Family of bikes. The funny thing is that as much as I have wanted to learn to ride and to own a motorcycle, I had never been on one... I have a need to control. And let's face it, I'm a bit of a chicken-shit. But, I have resolved that little issue.

I went out to Hagerstown to visit BC. He had promised me two things for when I came to visit - that he would teach me how to drive stick and that he would take me out on his bike. We didn't get to the stick driving lesson. But we did go out for a ride. First on the Cruiser (the slow bike, he calls it), then on the Vmax (the power bike). If I wanted to have a motorcycle before actually being on one, I REALLY want one now. We went for a long ride, up and down back roads, BC occasionally opening it up a bit, just to let me feel the acceleration and the power. I asked him not to scare the shit out of me too much. The interesting thing is that I wasn't scared the entire time on the bike - not even for the stretch that BC let it out to 100mph. I felt such wonderful exhilaration and so free. I don't think the smile left my face the entire time we were out. And I didn't want it to end.

BC told me that I would get "the bug" in my ear, even starting today. Oh, boy, do I have the bug. So the first thing I need to do is take a basic rider safety course and get myself an M license. I can't wait. Whether or not I'll actually own a bike anytime soon, well, only time will tell. But I have to get started.

1 comment:

Faye said...

Hey Tina,
so where in Rockville did you wine up??????