Monday, January 14, 2008

Wishing Upon Stardust

I don't make New Year's resolutions. I just don't. But this New Year's, Magenta made one for me. That I would put myself out there and attempt to sell my jewelry, in some fashion.

In the past 2 years that I've been making jewelry, I've been wanting, but been too scared to sell anything. I've given a bazillion gifts, but not sold. Why? Because when you give stuff away, people generally accept graciously. When you're selling, people must choose to buy. There have been many people in my life who have been saying, what the hell are you waiting for?? Hence, the New Year's Resolution by MS above.

Well, yesterday, I showed my jewelry to a new upscale boutique in the area, and both the owner and designer agreed that they would sell my jewelry!! It will be on a consignment basis to begin with. But I'm out there. I'm so terribly excited, that I can't even put into words.

The only thing I did not have was a name for my jewelry line. Until now. So, beginning today, my jewelry line will be known as Stardust River Jewelry. Why? Stardust to give the feeling of sparkling and glimmering (and it also happens to be the name of a book and movie from Neil Gaiman, who I love). River because the literal translation of the Chinese character for my last name is "large river," a fact that I had never taken advantage of previously.

I'm soooo excited! You'll hear much more about this soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't even finished reading this post - and I already have to address the fact that PEOPLE DO NOT ALWAYS ACCEPT GIFTS GRACIOUSLY. That is why I do not give gifts of photography any more unless they are specifically requested. Do you not remember that one of my photos made Hilary cry because she thought (size 0) that she looked fat? And do we not recall the Diana Christmas of 2005 fiasco when she GAVE BACK the gift that her only child made specifically for her - a beautifully framed photo of a religious statue, Mary With Child from Puerto Rico no less - which image is now hanging in my own home because it was so harshly rejected.

Seriously, Crouching Tiger, must you rub salt in my wounds?

Anonymous said...

btw CONGRATULATIONS (still haven't finished reading)

N'il said...

Okay, fine. Most normal people... okay no, some people... well, people I've given gifts to thus far have accepted them graciously. As far as I know.

CawfeeGuy said...

omg that is ABSOLUTELY wonderful! i am SO proud of you!!!!

DrBMBridge said...

Congrats, great news.

By the way, British people always accept gifts graciously. Anything else would be terribly rude.

Clio said...

OH MY GOD THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!