Friday, March 31, 2006

The world's foremost expert on everything

I am not one to eavesdrop on conversations at restaurants, but sometimes I just can't help it. Las night JS and I went out for Indian food and at the next table was apparently the "World's Foremost Expert on Everything." Let me explain - the guy at the next table was having a very loud and one-sided conversation with his dinnermates about just what a wonderful person he was. He knew about everything. He was in insurance (not sure what, but he gets to deal with people and loves talking - as if that wasn't obvious). He was also an EMT, a fireman - "I always have my gear with me... in case I need to jump in and help." A FEMA expert - "Well, when the Hurricanes happened in New Orleans, the problem they had was..." And a number of other things that I can't even remember. He just kept talking and talking and talking. Talking himself up so much that I thought he must have been some sort of stud or something.

Well, when he got up with his dinnermates to leave, I turned around to see for myself what this man of amazing skills looked like... honestly, no joke, he looked like a gnome minus the beard. After leaving, JS and I saw him running by (we were sitting by the window) toward his car. JS burst out, "RUN FOREST RUN!" At which point, the couple at the next table burst out laughing. We had a nice laugh over it - it was good to know that it wasn't just us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've found that the number of experts is directly proportional to how expensive the restaurant is, i.e., more expensive, more experts. Glad you let your "expert" have it.

Turgenev said...

"I turned around to see for myself what this man of amazing skills looked like... honestly, no joke, he looked like a gnome minus the beard."

...honestly, he looked less like a gnome, than a very cleaned up Gollum. It was all in the eyes. Yes, it was, my Precious.