Friday, March 31, 2006

One step closer

I have been at my job for one year. And at one year, there are two choices: step increase or grade increase. Step increases are automatic, based on the amount of time on the job. Grade increases are not - they have to be approved by one's supervisor. And although everyone around me kept telling me that there was no way I was not going to get a grade increase, I wasn't going to bank on it.

Well, on Tuesday, one of the managers (not my direct supervisor) came into my office to hand me something and happily states, "Congratulations on your promotion!"

Me: I got my promotion?
Him: You didn't know?
Me: No one told me...
Him: (as he's walking out of my office) Oops...

"Oops," that was classic. I was really happy, but curious as to why I didn't hear it from my direct supervisor first. Well, she came in yesterday to confirm that I did, indeed, get my promotion. And that it was her intent to tell me had the other one not spilled the beans first. Oops, indeed.

So I have taken one step closer... to what, exactly, I'm not sure. But it's been taken.

2 comments:

ttw said...

Oh, but you know it only really matters if they give you more cashbar with that... otherwise, it's just for show, really. :P

N'il said...

Oh, my bank account will be much happier... I would not have taken this job if the rapid increases in salary weren't a part of it!