Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Sushi and sake


This weekend is the end of the annual National Cherry Blossom Festival. A few years ago, they began holding the "Grand Sushi and Sake Tasting" during the festival. And for the first couple of years, I tried to get tickets far too late. Last year, JS, SA, and I went to, what we thought, was this event. And while we learned a lot about premium sakes, it was not what we expected.

This year, I checked the Cherry Blossom website at regular intervals to be sure that I would not miss when the tickets for this event went on sale. Well, we got tickets, and the event was this evening. And it was fantastic. The sushi chefs who were serving the masses had, this afternoon, competed in a sushi chef competition. We were served by both the first and second place chefs this evening. There were tables of sake. At least two dozen different brands and varieties. Had we more time, and no drive home, I'm sure we would have sampled more.

The final part of the evening, which JS and I agreed topped everything off, were the Japanese drumming group. Taiko is traditional Japanese Drumming - it's rhythmic, athletic, visual, emotional... I could keep going on. I've always loved Taiko and have had only a few opportunities to see it live, and never as close up as tonight. JS and I were ready to leave and decided we would stay for one song. Then another. Then another. I could have kept watching and listening. The group had two honored guests with them this evening - two very accomplished Taiko drummers, one of whom was a founding member of Soh Daiko, the only Taiko group I can remember by name. Watching these two men drumming with this amazing coordination was such a visual and auditory treat.

We had such a good time tonight. It's one thing to have the expectation that an evening will be fun. It's an entirely different thing to have that expectation met and exceeded. We're going back to this event every year from now on if we can help it. Any takers to come next year? Just let us know!!

No comments: