Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Running on empty

So, this past Sunday was the Pikes Peak 10K Run, of which I had previously spoken. I didn't do too bad. I was hoping to finish it at a 10 minute/mile pace. My official results were:

1:04:39 (gun time); 1:01:06 (actual time); 9:50 (pace)

so better than I was shooting for.

Race day is such a strange thing. I've only run a couple of races. And each time, the race is the "longest distance I have ever run before," and this race was no different. I had never run more than 5 miles (we went for a 5 1/2 mile run a couple of weeks ago... I was pretty much out of gas at mile 5, and had to walk a bit at a couple of points). So the fact that I was running continuously until after mile 5 was an accomplishment in and of itself. Had my knee (damn knee) not gone out, I would have continued. But, alas, my knee did give out and I has to run/walk the last mile. But no matter. I still made pace and that makes me happy.

It gives me more confidence for the Half-marathon in September. A few more months to double the distance to, again, the "longest distance" I had ever run. There is still time. And definitely still will.

I will say one thing, and JS will attest to this: I was really out of it the rest on the day on Sunday. Electrolyte balance off or something. And have been kind of off ever since. So, I guess my body needs a re-adjustment period. Gives me a good excuse for an afternoon nap...

2 comments:

Turgenev said...

"I was really out of it the rest on the day on Sunday." Understatement of the week. :) Even Thor arched his eyebrow at his mom and said, "Uhhh, yeah, okay mom, I'm gonna just play with Daddy for a while."

Anonymous said...

Go you!

T