Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Sweat and roses

There have been many things that I have been saying that I would do for years. But there was never time or I tried and it wasn't what I thought it would be. One of these such things is yoga. I've gone to a few yoga classes in my life, but I never felt like I was doing anything. We weren't holding poses for very long, my heart rate wasn't being increased in any way... and by the end I generally felt like I had done nothing. Thinking on it for a while, I decided that it must have been the classes I was taking. So I decided I would give it one more try.

I went to a yoga class this evening. But not just any yoga class. A Bikram Yoga class. Now, for those who have never heard of it, Bikram yoga is yoga done in a heated room. Not "Oh, it's balmy and nice in here" kind of heat. It's the "My God this can't possibly be good for you" kind of heat. Or at least that's what went through my head when I first entered the room, sat down, began to be flush and started to sweat. I didn't think that I would make it through the 90 minutes (that's right - 90 minutes) of it.

Not only did I make it through the 90 minutes, sweating more than I think I have ever sweat in my life, but I LOVED every minute of it. It was unbelieveable. And after a nice shower, my body feels cleaner than I've felt in a really long time. And from the signals that my muscles are giving me at this moment, I know I'm going to feel it tomorrow. But I'm definitely going back.


Why roses? Because I got roses today from a wonderful man.

4 comments:

ttw said...

Ooooo secret admirer?

Anonymous said...

Hey, those were for J

Anonymous said...

My neighbor Penny is going to get certified to teach Bikram. We should go to a class with her next time you come up. I'd love to try it but I am scared of passing out.

N'il said...

I was very afraid of passing out too. But I was actually really invigorated after.