Sunday, April 10, 2005

All work and no pay

I was looking forward to my first paycheck. Very much so. I was going to run around giddy, finally feeling like a grown-up, with gainful employment and a real income. I was looking forward to it.

And it didn't come... yes, the excitement of getting my very first paycheck from my very first real job was brutally taken away by the evil menace called bureaucracy (it's taken me a long time to learn how to spell that word, so I shall use it a lot from now on). Apparently, something along the way went amiss. An erroneous keystroke, an unfiled paper - you know the deal. Something happened that made the deposit that was supposed to cushion my checking account be refused, diverted, otherwise misdirected... or undirected at all.

See, the problem is, no one knows what went wrong. And as a result, I may not get paid until this coming Friday - and even then, it's not a guarantee.

So, for now, I sit looking at my bills, knowing that I have taxes to pay, and having to dip - I hate dipping. Savings is supposed to be just that - savings. Not dipping funds. But I must.

And now, I just wait.

1 comment:

ttw said...

You love the government! You do!
(wanna join me in my bread + water corner over here? i'm sure i could spare a crumb.)