Tuesday, March 22, 2005

New beginnings

It is a fool's prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak - Dream

This is the new goal of this blog. Welcome back. A new stage has begun and with it, hopefully a new point of view.

Everyone has new beginnings in their lives at one point or another. Things end, new adventures begin, and we must all adjust. I think that this will be the biggest adjustment I will ever have to make. I have never in my life been anything but a student. Only working toward the next degree or educational accomplishment. I have finished my Ph.D. after 7 1/2 long years and now I begin the next stage.

I begin my new career. The first time in my life that I will not be working toward such a defined goal as a degree. This will be the first time in my life that the day to day work does not lead to an inevitable end. And I am not yet sure how I will react to this. I know I will adjust. But setting smaller goals for myself has only ever been a part of a much larger big picture.

I begin a new life. I have moved again. To another city. Different than Baltimore, different than New York. And I must adjust to the new patterns, places to eat, places to shop, roads, highways and a whole host of other things great and small. I even have to learn to navigate in the dark in my own home (which is hard to do with all of the boxes around). Meeting new people and making new friends - things with which I am not always comfortable.

Uprooting an existance to create for oneself a new life is always difficult, exciting, scary, exhilarating, fun, and any number of other adjectives one can think of. But it is the creation of that new existance that is the adventure. And in that creation, in that learning, one continues to create oneself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I have blog envy. I am not really sure why since I have my own blog that you frequent... but, I guess, we also feel what we feel because of who we are. I look forward to hearing what you have to say and I am excited to go link to you!

Anonymous said...

I envy that you are on a wonderful new adventure and everything is so fresh. Here's hoping that you find a good bagel joint!