Friday, March 25, 2005

Flex time

One of the things that I noticed almost immediately is the change in my state of mind since beginning work. As a student, your work is always on your mind, even if you are not working on it. It always hangs there, poking at you from time to time to remind you that it's there. What I have never experienced is the feeling of leaving your work at work.

I now have three projects on my desk, each with different timelines and levels of depth. But once I left the office, the projects stayed there. Maybe it's because none of the projects is due for another couple of months. Or maybe it's just naivete on my part. Or maybe it's just because it's still new. But I like it. I like that when I'm home, I can just look around and decide what I want to concentrate on without this burden of having something haunting me in the background. (Unfortunately, the only thing to concentrate on at home at the moment are the mess and boxes that need to be unpacked.)

It almost seems frivolous.

No comments: