Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Bad directions

Have you ever had to build a piece of say... furniture. And the diagrams and descriptions are so bad that you're not sure you are building it correctly? And that the only way that you can tell things are going well is that what you are building resembles what you hope will come out at the end?

Well, that was part of my day today. I got a new computer cart for my office. Now, I've built all manner of boxed furniture over the years - from IKEA furniture to really heavy desks from Staples. How hard could it be to put together a small computer cart? Well, it becomes difficult when all of the pieces look generally the same, there is no differentiating front from back and when the diagrams in the instructions are unclear as to where the screws go, that at a certain point I just said, "Screw it!" and started putting the thing together in a way that most made sense. (It also didn't help that the screws were impossibly difficult to screw in and my screwdriver was 4 inches long - no leveraging power whatsoever).

I got the cart together, after a couple of hours of fighting with it. Hopefully it won't fall apart. And I used almost all the parts that came in the box (I figured I could forego the second shelf as my CPU wouldn't fit on the cart otherwise). We'll see if it stand the test of (some)time passage.

If not, well... don't be surprised if you hear on the news about my legs getting crushed by a computer monitor.

10 comments:

ttw said...

My God. Barely 3 months out of grad school and you've forgotten how to be an engineer? The shame!

N'il said...

I have NOT forgotten how to be an engineer. The cart is together and working just fine, thank you! And how much of an engineer are YOU being right now?

Anonymous said...

Screw engineers and architects - they can't actually BUILD anything. Let me just comment on the fact that you do not own an electric screwdriver. A woman without power tools is a disgrace.

Anonymous said...

Screw engineers and architects - they can't actually BUILD anything. Let me just comment on the fact that you do not own an electric screwdriver. A woman without power tools is a disgrace.

Anonymous said...

and clearly I am a woman unable to master basic internet functions as evidenced by my multiple, yet identical postings above.

N'il said...

I have an electric screwdriver, along with many other power tools. I just didn't have them readily available at the office. So I went out and got myself (another, since I already have one at home) ratcheted screwdriver.

Anonymous said...

You scared me there for a minute. Then I just got distracted by thoughts of women with power tools.

http://sequinedasphault.typepad.com/sequined_asphault/2005/03/lets_talk_about.html

ttw said...

Would it not be easier to let the men do it while we sit back and file our nails though?
(this is the stuff of manly dreams i think; to rescue their damsels in distress)
(but we are only pretending to be in distress so that they do the scut work)

N'il said...

Well, at least it makes them feel useful once in a while!

Anonymous said...

Show me a man who knows how, and I'll let him take care of me whenever he needs to feel useful.