Tuesday, November 25, 2008

This day is no different than any day of the year


Well, for me it sorta is, because it's my birthday. Growing up, I never really had any big birthday parties or anything like that. Actually, I only ever had one where I had friends over and stuff, when I was in 7th or 8th grade. I wasn't very popular back then (read: big nerd), so it wasn't really all that fun, nor memorable.

Mostly, my memories of my birthday growing up are mooshed in with Thanksgiving, since it's always so close. Turkey, chinese food, and Carvel ice cream cake. The idea of celebrating my birthday independent of that only came about in adulthood. But I have such wonderful friends and family who care, and remember, and are generous, more than I think I deserve, and I am forever grateful for that.

I reflect on this year, and I am excited about the possibilities. I'm engaged to a wonderful man, had some good stuff go on at work, sold some jewelry, and am (hopefully) in the final stages of buying a house. I'm happier than I can remember. Tired, but happy.

I'm hoping next year will be as great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You deserve the very best, Dr. Kiang! And I, being the best, am here to give it to you! :-P

Clio said...

"A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip." I don't know who said that, but what an exciting journey this year will be for you!