Wednesday, November 05, 2008

State of affairs

Yes we can. I am so excited and relieved about the outcome of the election. I am hopeful that President-elect Obama, his cabinet, and the Congress will begin to move this country in the right direction again.

At the same time, I am disappointed about the outcomes of some ballot measures across the country. I am particularly disappointed that measures in Arizona and Florida banning gay marriage passed. The vote in California is still too close to call. I don't think I will ever understand the fear people have of two loving adults declaring legally and publicly that they want to spend the rest of their lives together.

For all the history that was made in this election, we obviously still have a long way to go.

UPDATE: Looks like the Proposition 8 in California has passed. I am saddened. However, the San Francisco City Attorney's office plans to challenge the validity of the ballot measure.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." - The Declaration of Independence

5 comments:

CawfeeGuy said...

girl...you got me ALL misty and teary eyed :~)xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

all "men" are created equal

You had me until the Declaration of Independence.

N'il said...

CawfeeGuy: *mwah* Love you babe.

MS: In this case, I prefer this definition - the human individual as representing the species, without reference to sex; the human race; humankind; a human being; person. Though most of the time I am with you.

Clio said...

UUUgh... The LA Times just reported that the ban passed in California.

At least the president-elect would like to see DOMA repealed. That could be a start.

Anonymous said...

Aunt N'il,

I can't wait to vote! Can I have a bottle now?

Love,
Your very cute nephew, Andrew :-)