Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Quite the beachy weekend (aka Ring-a-ding-ding)

King Neptune. No really.

Turg and I took a lovely (and far too short) mini-vacay to Virgina Beach over the weekend. It was a weekend planned, very clearly, to NOT include laptops, Crackberries, or any other technology other than our cell phones, music and reading material (i.e., books and mindless magazines). The plans for the weekend included no plans, no scheduling save for dinner reservations at a beautiful restaurant on the oceanfront. (quick backstory on this restaurant - the only other time we'd ever been there was after I ran the 1/2 marathon, and I fell asleep at the dinner table, so we knew returning to this restaurant was a must)

We spent all of Saturday walking on the beach. And walking and walking some more. It was great. After walking for what seemed like hours, we headed back to the hotel room to relax, and get ready for dinner. I love Salacia. The outdoor veranda seating is beautiful, on the ocean, gas-light lit, benches with pillows (actual pillows, not just throw pillows), and if you get cold (like I did), they bring you a really soft blanket.

After a dinner with champagne (seriously, Turg suggested champagne because he's "on new acid medication, and red wine would be too much" Sheez), wonderful steak and lamb (yes, I ordered lamb again, and this time I didn't fall asleep), we were just sitting chit chatting when:

Turg (in a tone one would use to say "pass the salt"): Will you marry me?
Me (not having really heard him): What? Say that again?
T (more seriously): Will you marry me?
Me (because I'm a bitch): Not without a ring.
T (raises eyebrow): Why?
Me (getting nerdy): It's like in Babylon5*, when Sheridan asks Dele'en to marry him, he said, "On Earth, we have a tradition where we give a ring, as kind of a down payment for another ring. The kind that you get when you get married."
T: *raises eyebrow*
Me: That's what you get for making me watch Babylon5
T: No, I'm just amazed you remember the quote better than I am right now. But, okay... *produces ring*

This was the point where I got all giggly and girly (he thought I was going to cry). Of course I said yes. So after about a bazillion years together**, we are getting married!!

The Ring (this was the day after the proposal)

Turg was taking a little risk about asking me at the beginning of the weekend because, while there was much assurance that I was going to say 'yes,' you know, there's always a chance of not. Then the rest of the weekend would have really been awkward. But it wasn't. The rest of the weekend was as perfect as the proposal.



* Turg was actually the one who got me into watching Babylon5. Bet he's sooo glad he did that now.
** Before anybody starts in on "it's about time he asked you," let me make clear that I was the holdout, not him. So if you're going to get on anyone's case, that would be me.


"No man is complete until he's married. Then, he is finished." - Foxtrot Yankee (very good friend of Turg's)

"Congratulations, and may all of your ups and downs be between the sheets." - random guy who overheard us talking over breakfast

5 comments:

DrBMBridge said...

Congratulations

ttw said...

1) Legend of Zelda!
2) Why are you, in the ring shot, holding on to a phallic turd-shaped stone?

N'il said...

That is, in fact, a miniature representation of an octopus, next to the very large sculpture of King Neptune. Not a turd.

Anonymous said...

Mazal Tov!

Um, yeah... asking you at the start of the weekend: BIG risk-taker there.

So let's see, at this rate, we've got about 20 years before we can start bugging you about kids? :)

Anonymous said...

Nice Rock!

Congratulations to you both!

MAD (Twas MAM at BKHS)