Friday, May 25, 2007

I want to ride my bicycle...


I am on a quest to get back into shape. I let this winter hit me a little too hard and allowed myself far too much laziness. By the way I feel, I would never know that 9 months ago, I was fully trained for a 1/2 marathon. What is it they say? "It's hard to get into shape and easy to get out of shape." Apparently too easy.

So, I have resolved to bike to work on Fridays this summer (barring rain or the need to wear a suit), since Fridays are casual dress days. Today was day one. Let me first say, I don't live that far away from work. But the road to work is a little... scary. There is no bike lane. There are many busses. And in the morning there are A LOT of large construction and cement trucks on the road because of the quarry nearby. So, like the wussy-pants that I am, I ride my bike on the sidewalk until such point that I can get off the main road - yes, like a 3rd grader.

As I approach the first major intersection (I'm on the sidewalk, now), I notice a lot of movement of very small objects. As I get closer, I see that there are a lot of flies hovering near the corner. Closer... closer... GAH!!! THERE'S A DEAD DEER ON THE SIDEWALK!!! (likely from one of those large construction trucks hitting it) Not exactly what I was hoping to see that early in the morning.

The rest of the ride was uneventful. I now have a bike sitting in the middle of my office with passers by poking their heads in saying, "Hey. There's a bike. Did you ride it in today?" Masters of the obvious, I tell ya.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yuck. Luckily for me, I'm much more likely to find live prairie dogs or rabbits on my bike ride in. Do you have any possible, less-busy parallel routes you can take to avoid the traffic?

I found the bikeforums.net "commuting" section really helpful for bringing up things I hadn't thought about to make the process easier, safer, and more fun.

Enjoy it, and go on with your bad self!