Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Workin' for a living

One of the reasons why I like my job so much is the "Any 80" policy. In short, "Any 80" means that I am allowed to work any 80 hours I choose in a two week pay period. If I work over that 80 in any pay period, I can bank the extra hours (up to 24) to use in another pay period should I need to make up time. It also means that I tend to hoard my vacation and sick days. I staunchly refuse to use them. Why? Because sick leave can be carried over ad infinitum. I can carryover up to 240 hours of vacation every year (I'm no where near that yet). Sounds sweet? Well, more like necessary, since there is no such thing as "maternity leave" where I work. So, whenever I choose to have a child, it's my own time that I have saved up that I have to use. It's the whole equity thing (there's no such thing as paternity leave, either). No bonuses for those who want to have kids over those who choose not to.

Anyway, why am I talking about this? Oh, yeah. I'm coming to NYC next week. For the whole week. And I'm trying really hard to do it without using any of my vacation days. Don't think it will work. But I'm working super-overtime this week to try. It's not really a stretch to work the long hours this week, either, since any work that's due next week or early the week after needs to be done before I leave. And I'm probably going to bring some work to NY with me too (what a loser am I?).

Well, back to work. Have to get this crap done.

4 comments:

ttw said...

so you're having a baby, or what?

just wondering. the world shudders to see little t&j's running around...

N'il said...

Not having a baby, thanks very much.

CawfeeGuy said...

why can't I have a job like that. sh-t i guess i need to get my Doctorate in something besides Fellatio or Creative Use for Throw Pillows

Turgenev said...

*taps N'il on the shoulder* "Honey? I'm late this month. So, blue, pink or yellow?"

:) I wish I had any 80. It actually makes working for the gov't attractive...