Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Muscle soreness

Okay, I'm on a science kick these days... but there are a lot of interesting things coming up recently, so please bear with me.

I read this interesting article about lactic acid. We all learned over the years that lactic acid buildup in the muscle was bad - caused cramping, soreness, etc. Turns out, that theory was completely wrong. Lactic acid is, in fact, fuel for the muscle. And that endurance trained athletes are more efficient in the use of lactic acid during exercise and competition. It all has to do with the mitochondria in the muscle cells. The more endurance trained you are, the more transport molecules are produced to transport the lactic acid into the muscle for fuel.

Well, there goes another thing that we can blame for crappy workouts.

1 comment:

Turgenev said...

"How many people here know whether or not drinking milk is good or bad?"

*Crickets*

"I rest my case!"

-Lewis Black