Sunday, June 19, 2005

Hope springs in turtles!


Lewis Black
Originally uploaded by Lady N'il.
And if hope can spring in turtles, it can spring in me!

Yes, I make no sense. But there is a reason for this really insane quote. Last evening, JS and I want to the Lyric Opera House, not to see an opera, but to see comedy. Specifically, we went to see, perhaps one of the foremost commentators on pretty much everything, Lewis Black. Not familiar?? If you have ever watched The Daily Show, then you probably know Lewis Black. All I can say is that I came out of the show sides and tummy hurting from laugher.

JS and I stood on line for a bit to get an autograph. It is really interesting the things you hear when standing in line. These two older ladies standing behind us in line were commenting on "all the dirty language" Lewis Black had used during his act. "He didn't need to use all that dirty language. I saw him on TV and I thought he was funny. I didn't think he was that funny tonight." We found this really amusing because, dispite the fact that they found the act quite dirty, here they were, standing in line with a poster, waiting to get his autograph. People!

Note: The above quite was from the opening act, John Bowman (the one on the left in the picture).

2 comments:

Turgenev said...

Some more choice quotes from Lucy and Ethel, The Older Years, who were behind us in line (for his autograph - mind this as you read):

"I didn't think he was funny at all."

"It wasn't right, what he said about evolution."

"He's a comedian. He doesn't matter."

*Lewis Black comes down the hall and greets the crowd* "Oh, my, he's cute!"

*shakes head* I was ACHING to whisper a comment to Lewis at the signing table about these two old bats...

Hey, T: "This audience prefers their comedy... by IN-U-EN-DO."

Anonymous said...

Fossils! Fossils! Fossils! Fossils! Fossils! Fossils! Fossils! Fossils! Fossils!

I win.