Tuesday, June 24, 2008

No longer in charge

Well, the two months of my temporary promotion are over and I am back in my office, trying to do my own work again and I'm feeling really disoriented. I mean, I can't even remember where shit is in my own desk. I'm trying to figure out what work I have to catch up on, what came in while I was gone that now I'm in the middle of, and where the hell my F-ing paperclips are.

I'm all sorts of grumpy today. After being gone for the last 2 months, I am truly afraid that I'm going to be really bored doing my own job. I was already starting to need more before I left (which is one of the reasons why I left), and now that I've seen all of the stuff that's out there, I look at my own work and think, "Huh, well... that's quaint."

There's some reorganization that's going to happen soon, which will most definitely shake things up. But as it stands, it doesn't look like I will be very affected by the reorganization, so I'm somewhat disappointed. *sigh*

Things I have learned over the past couple of months:

  1. I like being an engineer more than a chemist
  2. Lasers are really cool
  3. Working on cosmetic devices makes me feel cheap somehow
  4. I really like my work at home days
  5. I like having a window office
  6. The air is thinner on the third floor
  7. Maybe stability isn't all it's cracked up to be

We'll see how things go. Maybe I need to take some reviewer details to see what else is out there. But I'm quickly learning that I'm not likely to get very far where I am, since there are so many other people who have been here so much longer than I have, and they are already the "go-to" people. It would take a lot for me to get to that point around here. There are more decisions ahead of me... much sooner than I had originally thought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooooh - I'm anxiously awaiting the next chapter. dun, dun, DUN....

Turgenev said...

*stands behind N'il*

Go get 'em, hon. I got your back.

-T.

Clio said...

As Mae West said, "A dame that knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up" which has absolutely nothing to do with your dilemma. Well, except that change is exciting... sometimes really really exciting.