Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The great roast beef debate

Whenever I go back to NYC, as I did this past weekend, I call Dad to confirm that he wants a roast beef sandwich when I arrive. Dad loves a good roast beef sandwich, but he is very particular about how he likes to eat it. Only ever 1/2 a sandwich at a time, and always with a side of gravy for dipping.

For a long time, whenever I would call him, Dad would always respond with, "Yeah, give me a roast beef, but make sure you get it from the place by the water and not the other place." I always found this direction kind of superfluous, since I always got the sandwiches from Roll-N-Roaster, and I know he doesn't like the gravy from Brennan & Carr (which is really a jus and not gravy). But he would tell me. Every. Single. Time.

It wasn't until very recently did I figure out why it was so. Apparently, Jay would get sandwiches from Brennan & Carr for Dad. And thus, I would get reminded not to. *rolls eyes*

Well, this past weekend when I came home, Dad did not remind me to go to "the place by the water." Instead, when I called him, he said, "Don't forget a cup of gravy." Huh? Since when have I ever forgotten the gravy? In fact, I always get 2 cups of gravy (one for each half of his sandwich). When I got off the highway, I called him to see if he wanted anything else with his sandwich. He said no, but again reminded me about the gravy. What? Then, when I get home, and set up his little lunch for him, his wife comes into the kitchen and asks me (in Chinese) whether I got gravy. Okay, WTF?

Dad explained that last time, Jay forgot to get gravy. And again, I am the one who is reminded. Why am I posting all of this? What is the moral of the story? This:

JAY! WHEN YOU GET DAD A ROAST BEEF SANDWICH, GET IT FROM ROLL-N-ROASTER AND DON'T FORGET THE GRAVY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why am I being singled out on your blog? I can't help it if I like Brennan and Carr's better! LOL

Jay

CawfeeGuy said...

sweet jesus i've been looking for this on YouTube FOREVER!